[Bf-committers] NAN Makefiles...

Beau Hargis bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:19:38 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 Apr 2003, Michel Selten wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 05:09, Beau Hargis wrote:
> > Are the NaN makefiles going to be ripped out entirely?
>
> In the future that is likely. But not before the auto* build is working
> properly.
>

> You should do the following:
> - Check out a clean copy of the blender source tree
> - do a ./bootstrap in the top of the blender sources
> - do a 'mkdir build' or - preferably - a 'mkdir ../build'
> - cd to the build dir
> - do a '../configure' or a '../blender/configure' - depending on what
>   build dir you chose.
> - do a make
>
> This keeps the original NaN build environment working. The only files
> generated in the source tree are Makefile.in's so that the source tree
> is kept as clean as possible.
>
> Michel

I was able to completely build everything through the NaN build system so
I know everything compiles and works (for the most part). I do get a
usable blender where I can model, animate, etc. The above build procedures
is what I tried first but there seems to be a problem with it handling
relative paths for things like '--with-ode=../../ode'. This is somewhat
strange having configured and built gcc more times than I can count. If I
specify absolute paths, everything configured for autoconf builds. I am
looking into it at the moment.  It stung me with openal too. I needed to
get the latest CVS copy to get it to build. configure, or rather libtool,
couldn't find it unless it was installed in /usr or /usr/local or I
specified an absolute path. Here is an example:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/beau/src/cvs/blender/obj'
Making all in intern
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/beau/src/cvs/blender/obj/intern'
Making all in string
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/beau/src/cvs/blender/obj/intern/string'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2 -funsigned-char
-L../../ode//lib -o libblender_STR.la   STR_String.lo
../../libtool: line 1: cd: ../../ode//lib: No such file or directory
libtool: link: cannot determine absolute directory name of
`../../ode//lib'

configure is not creating paths relative to the build directory in which I
ran ../configure, in this case obj. ../../ode/lib does exist, but relative
to obj. I have never seen configure have this kind of trouble before so I
am wondering if there is some magic involved that isn't being cast.

Also, there is no indication of which versions of automake, aclocal and
libtool are required. I have automake versions 1.7 and 1.4 because I build
everything from source and some packages dont work with one or the other.
Should be easy to add the checks and use 1.7 or 1.6. I can supply patches
if no-one else wants to deal with it.

All in all, it looks like it is coming along nicely.

--
beau