[Bf-committers] CVS commit: blender configure.ac

LarstiQ bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:06:21 +0100

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:56:46PM +0200, Upi Tamminen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:43:04PM +0100, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> > I think everything needed to maintain the auto-whatever system, except
> > stuff that can be generated easily, this depends in the 'easy' level of
> > course ;-)
>
> I agree, cvs should only have the stuff needed to generate the rest
>
> > Aren't the .in files the sources from which the rest is generated ? Or
> > are the .in files themselves auto-generated too ?
>
> .in files are generated from .am files :)

.in files are input files for 'configure' (also the reason it is
configure.ac and not configure.in anymore, .ac for autoconf input), if
you just use autoconf you would make Makefile.in, config.h.in, etc.
directly. If you use automake, you feed .am files to automake, which
spits out the .in files configure wants to see.

Something of the sort also happens with lex and yacc (input for input
for cpp (input for cc, bwah)).

Normally I wouldn't want to include in cvs all the stuff that can be
generated, just the source files and a bootstrap.sh to kick it off, but
for the time being it might be better to include some more derived works
so everyone can get the tree up and running with minimal effort, even if
that pollutes cvs. As soon as there is a release the general user can
work with the need will be less, but perhaps still existance, I don't
know.

Wouter van Heyst