[Bf-blender-npr] BEER as an inclusive NPR solution

Light BWK wk.bong at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 19:28:19 CEST 2014

Hi Ton,

> I prefer the first strategy, but I can understand the 2nd could work as well.

The 1st option appears to be a quick fix, which we want to try to avoid.

My interpretation of the second option is building a new internal
render engine based on BI, as it solve NPR requirements for the long
term. We'll go with that.

In the broader view, *shader layering system* will introduce freedom
to produce endless styles (in line with NPR's goal). The same system
ensures introducing new shaders much easier, which will warrant
longevity of the render engine.

In cooperation with BI developers, BEER needs help at building the
core shading architecture. Other minor features can be added later.

We would try to avoid breaking BI of course, as older blendfiles would
be devalued very fast. People who makes tutorials will agree with
this. There are also many cases where BI is useful as a shortcut in
VFX (I have many friends doing VFX thus I understand their needs).
There need to be a fallback renderer in case BEER/Cycles fails.

We are willing to drop the name BEER (it makes a good "pet project"
name) in exchange with Blender Render+ or something more professional
at your recommendation.

-- Light BWK