[Bf-blender-npr] Feature/improvement idea for Freestyle

Terry Hancock lunatics.ml14 at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Apr 7 07:36:38 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I was just looking at a Freestyle animation which had a problem I've
encountered myself. Sometimes you need to have a crease or contour line, but
as the camera angle changes, it will just disappear.

Apart from whether it looks better with or without the line, the sudden
vanishing or appearance creates a distraction in the animation flow. It'd be
nice to have a way to make such changes more gradual.

One way would be to fuzzify the rules for the edge classification -- with the
"crease" line, I suppose this means turning the "crease angle" value into a
range.

But, as the 'suggestive contour' is supposed to be "close" to a contour line,
it would make sense if one could specify "how close", and again have that be
"fuzzy".

The fuzziness could then be input for a line style modifier --- and then you
could use it to allow an alpha-fadeout or a thinning of the line, rather than
having it suddenly disappear.

Cheers,
Terry

--